When We Are Not Sailing

The pattern we've been following along the coast is often to sail hard for a few days, then rest for a few. Folks tend to think of travel as vacation and assume that we are sight-seeing when we pause. We look forward to that time, but right now, we are working our way along the coast to get to San Diego for the Haha, and from there to Mexico. Our time in port, therefore, focuses on continued preparation for our departure from the U.S., as parts are much harder to come by in Mexico, and shipping is expensive and less reliable. In Santa Barbara, for instance, James climbed the mast to replace the transducer for our wind instrument.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://gettingfr.ee/2018/10/17/when-we-are-not-sailing/
2 Likes

I feel satisfied just reading about it!! :heart:

2 Likes

Wow, the level of detail and care you are putting into this journey is inspiring to read, though not surprising! It reminds me of how I always used to feel amazed coming over to your flat in SF, seeing the evolution of it, always getting more interesting, less cluttered, more precise, more beautiful. It’s so cool to see that happening on your boat, too, in a different way. Love you guys!

2 Likes

That’s such a thoughtful observation, Jenanancoa! Thank you. Yes, our love of making order and efficiency is one of the things that makes this way of living seem well-suited to us, for sure! It feels so natural to focus our efforts into living with a smaller footprint and more clarity; it’s hard but grounding.

I’m learning so many details of real life on the sea…it is fascinating (and inspiring to those of us who don’t necessarily seek the adventure but do seek the smaller footprint !) I look forward to your posts, thank you for being so detailed :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Do you each have a color that is associated with you? From this post, I assume that must be so, but I was not aware!

1 Like

In simplifying my wardrobe for the boat, I choose a color to center everything around: blue. James is fond, totemically, of red.