Rounding Point Conception

Brian Fagan, in his canonical "Cruising Guide to Central and Southern California", says that this area has been "known since the ninteeth century as the 'Cape Horn of the Pacific'"; he then devotes two sobering pages to detailing the challenging weather conditions of this area. In short, it's the pointiest part of California, and the southern coast slopes inland strongly afterward, so weather gets intensified around the point. While wise sailors keep a close eye on the weather, Point Conception is famously difficult to forecast; local conditions can vary quickly and strongly, and there is no sure way to have an easy trip.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://gettingfr.ee/2018/10/12/rounding-point-conception/

i am not very commenty, but i love reading about your adventures!

1 Like

Kristie & James!
I am here and SO enjoying your travels with you - what a delight!
love you!
helen

1 Like

Lila, I’m SO tickled to know that you are sharing our journey this way! It’s hard to convey how genuinely I mean those common words. Thanks for reaching out. I wish you so very well, dear.

Oh, Helen! YAYYYYYY. Sangha sisters looooove to you!

Glad you sailed safely around Point Conception. Eve and I were sailing with Eric Bonder out of Tradewinds on Friday Oct 12 and sharing updates about your trip! So glad things are going so well.

1 Like

Have Eric and Chandra found a boat yet? So glad to hear you and Eve are sailing! Send photos!

So happy to follow your adventures, so happy that you are living your dream❣️

1 Like

Thank you, dear Mary!

This post is giving me … longings, in the manner of my favorite Saint-Expury quote - “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.” :slight_smile: Such a neat part of the world and what a way to see it!

1 Like

Oh, DAN! That is so very, very nice. You really made my heart swell up. Thank you!

I love reading these posts so much, Kristie! I feel such excitement when I think of all you’re doing each day to live your dream. A big smile stretched across my face thinking about you singing and reading about your peaceful passage around Point Conception. It made me think of the countless times I have prepared for something to be difficult but then found it surprisingly graceful when it came time. Your voyage sounds full of wonder, grace and beauty. Thank you for sharing it with us!!

1 Like

Oh, thank you for these lovely words, darling. I love you and I appreciate you so much! I’ve learned so much from you about navigating unexpected challenges with grace, too, on the other hand. <3

It’s such a pleasure to be able to follow your adventures step by step, in real time. It’s a beautiful way for us to live our own lives, separately, on opposite coasts, but I always still have a picture of you in my mind, on the map, where you are, where and when you will move, what the anticipated level of complexity is for the next move, etc. David smiles when I tell him “Rejoice is sailing now, between x and y, expected to make landfall by n o’clock.” And I always say “they’ve arrived!” when you are in port. It feels like I’m on the journey with you, with less salt spray. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m thrilled you were able to round the point so painlessly! Another sailor friend of mine recommended a book to me, “Two Years Before the Mast”, which I enjoyed immensely because of my love of California history. It’s well regarded as a historical account of California in the mid-19th century, as well as providing an electrifying depiction of sailing in that era. That crew round Point Conception repeatedly, and the author speaks several times about the challenges of it. They round Cape Horn twice as well, sometimes taking weeks to do it! What an amazing adventure you’re on, I eat up every word you write and look forward to more. <3

1 Like

Aimee, this is so sweet. Thank you. I love you so!

Interestingly, I began to put your travel schedule for work onto my calendar recently for the same reason: I like to know where you are, and I wanted to be able to support you by remembering big events in different places.

Thanks for the great book suggestion, Susan! Hope you are settling into Chicago well.

1 Like