Parallel Play

Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://gettingfr.ee/2018/10/24/parallel-play/

i am also an introvert who enjoys parallel play (thanks for the term!) i dislike being completely alone for too long, but i love doing my own thing in the presence of other people. i think this idea definitely doesn’t get enough respect; although plenty of folks understand going to a coffee shop to work, they don’t think of just hanging out with friends to read or knit or do whatever without feeling pressured to socialize.

1 Like

That’s a great point, Lila; it makes me consider that not long ago we did a lot more shared labor. Labor-saving devices have, in that way, added to our isolation. Where we once would have had a friend over to talk about that sticky issue with the car engine or the tractor or the cotton gin, or friends to raise the barn, or extra hands for quilting or shearing…