On the Cusp

Last week, we had our Bon Voyage Party on Thursday, returned the car we'd been loaned for the past month Friday, and took some of our house family from San Francisco out on the water Saturday. At that point, the most wonderful ease descended upon on us. All our obligations to anything other than our ship are fulfilled. We need only now tend to our ship and to one another. We are adoring these final preparations. That doesn't mean it's all easy or going smoothly; projects on boats rarely go as one plans. I find myself very often contemplating the words of Sven Yrvind from one of Lloyd Kahn's beautiful books on alternative homes: Tiny Homes on the Move: Wheels and Water. Sven has spent much of his long life aboard small boats. He said that "Most people misunderstand life. Money does not make you happy. Comfort does not make you happy."

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://gettingfr.ee/2018/08/30/on-the-cusp/
3 Likes

Oh, so very, very exciting. You are remind me of the beginning of “Kiki’s Delivery Service” by Miyazaki. The night she leaves her town and her parents was impromptu; led by the moon and other indications by nature that it was time.

Her mother’s (Kokiri) advice is apt: “Just follow your heart and keep smiling.”

Cannot wait to follow your adventures here. Sending you all the big love there is.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, darling Anastasia! What a sweet comparison. Looking so forward to hugging you as we bump down the coast!

1 Like

Anastasia, that is the best analogy ever! The theme music to Kiki is now playing in my head https://goo.gl/images/QYiLxD

2 Likes

Kristie…i feel a rightness about your departure date being unfixed. The set date was a small worry for me;Im not sure why. This softness brought a big exhale to me! :heart:

2 Likes

How lovely to hear! My mama said the same thing when I spoke to her today; how glad and encouraged she is to see us feeling into the right moment as time and tasks unfold. This is the nature of our new life!

Currently bobbing in Clipper Cove, where we did not plan to spend the night but only the afternoon, but have stayed due to the wild winds — our wind instrument died when it hit 35.6 knots, over 40mph, in one of the gusts on the way over! Our sails and rig were great, and we are tickled to be on the hook (at anchor) rather than at the dock for this gorgeous evening!

1 Like

How lovely to live life without the constraints of calendar time, but to mark the passing of the sunrises and sunsets, and depart when things feel ready and right. Much love to you both! Friend Kelly Groves is staying with us for a few days, and was delighted to hear her guest bed had been yours. Your things continue to bring delight, even as you ready for new horizons and new shores. xoxo

2 Likes

Hugs to Kelly from down south here, too! So many sailing connections to and fro!

1 Like

Oh, how lovely! Kelly and Phillip came by to meet Rejoice and offer me advice based on their experience cruising a little over a year ago, and it was so helpful! It was in fact on my list to reach out to her again today. I’ll take this as an extra nudge from the universe to do so :slight_smile: <3 LOVE LOVE