Home Again: 20 Year Vows

Our ceremony began with the same introduction we wrote for our first wedding and have used to renew our vows at ten years. This time we swapped which of us said which now-traditional parts; to each hear the other say to us what we have said in the past made the familiar words feel surprisingly new.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://gettingfr.ee/2019/08/05/home-again-our-20th-wedding-anniversary/
1 Like

What a joy to witness from afar! Watching the two of you hold hands and walk a challenging path into the sea is the best metaphor for marriage I’ve ever seen. All my love!

1 Like

The joy you take in one another’s company is my favorite part of your marriage. It was that way 20 years ago, and is still today. The way you’ve evolved into a less formal ceremony that is just as meaningful is especially nice.

1 Like

So happy to see the photos and hear you tell the story. I am in awe of how the two of you have conducted your relationship across these many years. I have learned so much from you about what’s possible, what’s achievable, and how rewarding and valuable the work you put in can be. All of my best wishes for each day, until the years again warrant a ceremony, and then the time after that, and so on.

2 Likes

Thanks for your appreciation, darlings. It is so good to share life with you!

Marcy, it’s been so much fun to feel how the act of recommitment varies with the passage of years. The first time, we spoke to one another in personal address and there was an open Quaker-style time for anyone who wished to speak. The second time we just spoke to one another, but at more length. This last time, we did not feel a need for much – we spoke simply and together, and we acted together. I hope we get a next one and wonder what it will be!

1 Like