Haha Leg One: San Diego to Bahia Tortuga

In San Diego, we joined the 25th Annual Baja Haha. I have in the past not been much of a joiner, and I must admit that it was mostly James who felt that we should participate in this rally. It turned to be an absolutely wonderful experience, and I'm so glad that we did it!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://gettingfr.ee/2018/11/28/haha-leg-one-san-diego-to-bahia-tortuga/
2 Likes

Just saying hi dears! Love your updates and wishing you the best!

1 Like

Thank you so much, dear! It’s wonderful to know that folks are reading :slight_smile: Wishing you and yours well!

Thank you for sharing your journey! It is a true pleasure to read of your adventures and be invited into the magic of living at sea… James is regal at the helm and I am awed by your graceful strength and agility on deck!

1 Like

Oh my dear friend, you are SUCH a badass! It’s a joy for me to watch the videos of you interacting with your ship, and of James at the helm, and of both of you looking healthy, happy, and confident in your tasks. Recognizing that you probably don’t always feel confident, to a person who thought to learn to sail at around the same time you did, your obvious skill and practice is a delight to witness. So good!

1 Like

Oh my gosh, Carey, if you look closely I am COVERED with bruises and grunting like a pig as I work that winch. Lovely to hear that it seems like strength and grace to your eye, though! I’ve been following your own healing journey on FB, and I hold you in love and light. I see that you are luminous and well in so many ways, and I see that you are tender and undergoing much. I love you and I hold you in my heart!

1 Like

Haha! For context, Aimee, Gabe had referred to me as a badass the first time he saw me furl the main sail. There was, at the time, almost no wind, and it was pretty easy. So this time in the video, when I was furling the sail in some wind and waves (you can see the waterline changing as the boat goes up and down, and yet OH, as the sea goes, this is all still very mild!), I was referring to our prior conversation: “NOW you can tell me I’m a badass, Gabe!”

It’s so wonderful to be seen by you! Thank you for being here. Your loving support makes this leap so much easier.

1 Like

Thank you, thank you for such an enchanting post, Kristie❣️ Reading your adventures is just the perfect escape (my reality now includes leukemia and another bout of breast cancer☹️) so I am thrilled for you and I enjoy the vicarious thrill. I watched and enjoyed all the videos: I ended up feeling like I too was doing the Haha…be forever gloriously free my dear❣️

1 Like

Oh, Mary, I am so sorry to hear this. I’m adding a little prayer flag for you – I have a tiny version of the lines with prayer flags aboard Rejoice like I had in my temple room at home – and I’ll be singing sweetly to the universe about you in my morning prayersongs.

Oh, thank you so much for including me…I remember your little flags hanging in your studio.
I am honored to be there :two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

sitting here surrounded by my cocoon of technology, ii feel just a little more free reading this post, imagining being out on the open seas with you and james! my favorite little tidbit from this post was the watch note line “A captain who knows the crew will wake them always sleeps better.” variations of this sentiment can be applied oh-so-many places!

1 Like

I have no doubt that in everything you do, a certain amount of grace is involved - a badass level of grace, in this instance! :muscle:t3:

Thank you, Kristie. Your words are a balm. I love you and the light you bring!

1 Like

That is some “badass-ness” all around. One question: when you were furling the main sail, it looked like it had a lot of wind in it. Would it have been possible to head into the wind and would that have helped? Just curious to learn as you go.

Also what type of wireless headset Walkie talkie do you use? Going to Belize in Feb and we were advised to have 2-way radios for the bow watch as there is a lot of shallow coral!

1 Like

Great questio, Abbe! This is particular to our rig— with in-mast furling, it is best to keep wind in the sail to properly tension it as you roll it up. For us, we want to be on a starboard tack, specifically, for best effect! If we were to go head to wind. as one does to drop the main onto the boom, we would be far more likely to jam the sail. So far we’ve managed to only do that a couple times, and you were there for the worst one, so you know why we want to be very thorough with our technique now :grin:

Everyone has the same Sena bluetooth headsets! Just google “marriage savers”. I kid you not!

Belize sounds fantastic!! So excited that you and Eve are sails together now. Love you both!

Love following your adventure, Kristie!! I’ve been checking for updates on the Baja HaHa and was STOKED to see this detail with all the photos and videos. Your sendoff from San Diego looks amazing!

1 Like

I hope you enjoy it all, Lisa! Feel free to ask for details that interest you as a sailor at any time! I’m always just guessing how much of what kind of detail might appeal to whoever is reading… Hope you’re loving sailing on the Bay!