Ha-Ha Leg Two: Bahia Tortuga to Bahia Santa Maria

By now our crew was in a sweet groove. We had a routine with shifts, and the second leg was just one overnight rather than two. Gabe had noticed that while the schedule said we each had a three hour shift at night, James and I also had a quiet agreement that we wouldn't leave Gabe alone. Gabe had never been sailing when we invited him, and he doesn't swim. When I suggested he could simply float if needed, he said with calm clarity "Nope, I'm a sinker." Nevertheless, he immediately agreed to come with us. We knew he was serious when he told us that his wife Paige had gifted him a pillowcase that had a photo of her and their dog Luna on it. Gabe signed up for a weekend learning to crew workshop at OCSC, where James and I studied. Our friend Dan, who joined us for our passage from Montery to Morro Bay, took Gabe and Paige out on the San Francisco Bay aboard his boat (which was our first boat). Gabe practiced knots, shopped carefully for gear, prepared a whole hard drive of music for us, and generally knocked it out of the park before he even arrived. Onboard, once he noticed that he always had company for his night shift, he returned the favor, staying up through big portions of me and James' night watches to keep us company.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://gettingfr.ee/2018/11/30/ha-ha-leg-two-bahia-tortuga-to-bahia-santa-maria/

The photos and descriptions of the experience are amazing. Hope your toe is ok. Iā€™m a little confused about what James dropped in the water. Did you lose your outboard motor? Hope whatever happened is fixable.

Dear everything, no, we did not drop our outboard into the sea! We have a crane for lifting and lowering the outboard onto the dinghy. The crane attaches to the stainless poles which support the solar panel setup off the stern. There are two clamps holding the crane to the pole. The clamps had slipped a smidge, and James was adjusting one of them; all we lost was the clamp. The crane and motor were not attached. James was able to jerry rig a temporary support for the crane out of a hose clamp and a twisted shackle to keep the crane safe for the rest of the trip, and we used our kayak as our tender. We just had a replacement clap fabricated in La Paz; Sergio improved the design to make slipping less likely and advised us to use a piece of inner tube between the clamp and pole as our best stabilization option. All set!

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. Glad you got improvements in La Paz!

1 Like