blessing the boats

blessing the boats

BY LUCILLE CLIFTON (at St. Mary's)

may the tide that is entering even now the lip of our understanding carry you out beyond the face of fear may you kiss the wind then turn from it certain that it will love your back may you open your eyes to water water waving forever and may you in your innocence sail through this to that

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://gettingfr.ee/2018/10/18/blessing-the-boats/
1 Like

it reads very much like a yukti! how beautiful.

1 Like

The original Sanskrit form of the yuktis is much more condensed; you’ve seen how few words they contain. In making the translations we used in our study of the Radiance Sutras / Vijnana Bhairava Tantra together, Loren Roche was probably inspired by modern free verse poetry. Similarly, what we think of as “Rumi” is Coleman Barks taking the incredibly complex meaning, rhyme and rhythm of the original Persian verses and translating them into free verse that modern audiences can feel heart-with.

I hear what you mean at heart to be, though, that you could meditate deeply upon this, with resonance and reward, like you do the yuktis of the Radiance Sutras, and there I quite agree with you! I’ve been enjoying this poem for several weeks in that way myself. A friend is delivering the book it belongs to in a few days and I super look forward to reading it! The book is titled the same as the poem, and if you’d like to pick it up, Meghan, I’d be delighted to share thoughts together as we read!

xoxox